Happy MLK Day
Today marks the 25th year of the federal Martin Luther King holiday.
To mark the anniversary and to encourage ongoing service throughout the year, the MLK 25 Challenge has been launched. This is a call to all Americans to honor Dr. King by pledging to take at least 25 actions during 2011 to make a difference for others and strengthen our communities.
Check out the list of 75 ideas on the official website to help get you started. Here’s a list of 25 actions that I’d like to accomplish this year.
1. Help someone who is out of work with their resume or job search
2. Donate to local food bank
3. Donate gently used professional clothes to an organization that helps people rejoin the workforce
4. Volunteer at a food pantry to prepare and distribute meals
5. Clean closets, attic, basement, or garage and donate gently used items to a homeless shelter
6. Deliver meals to homebound seniors
7. Stop and have a conversation with a homeless person
8. Help a local nonprofit post their volunteer opportunities on Serve.gov
9. Share technology skills with a nonprofit that needs them
10. Volunteer or donate books to local library
11. Teach a senior how to use a computer
12. Read books to elementary school students
13. Bring someone new with you when volunteering
14. Participate in a charity ride or race
15. Volunteer at local youth or recreation center
16. Attend a meeting of neighborhood association
17. Become CPR certified (I’ve already accomplished this one)
18. Help create or expand a community garden
19. Clean up a nearby empty lot, or pick up trash on the street/neighborhood
20. Replace old light bulbs with energy efficient ones and turn off appliances when they’re not being used
21. Rake leaves, shovel snow, clean gutters, or wash windows for a neighbor
22. Give blood
23. Pick up groceries for a senior citizen
24. Volunteer at a local animal shelter
25. Check in on elderly or disabled neighbors regularly, especially in hot and cold weather
“Everybody can be great, because everybody can serve.”
“Make a career of humanity…and you will make a greater person of yourself, a greater nation of your country, and a finer world to live in.”
Will you be serving today? Do you have a favorite MLK quote? Share it with us!
Check out this article, MLK Day: 10 Places to Serve This Monday