Dan’s Veggie Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or 2 tablespoons of minced garlic from jar
- 1 1/2 cup chopped Red onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced Jalapeño peppers (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can Chili Red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can northern beans, undrained
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1.) Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the garlic, onion, and carrots in the pot until tender. Mix in the green bell pepper and red bell pepper. Season with chili powder. Continue cooking 5 minutes, or until peppers are tender.
2.) Mix the mushrooms into the pot. Stir in the tomatoes with liquid, black beans with liquid, kidney beans with liquid, pinto beans with liquid. Season with cumin, oregano, basil, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3.) Serve over elbow macaroni or penne pasta
FOR LOW SODIUM VERSION DRAIN AND RINSE BEANS AND ADD BACK EQUAL AMOUNT OF DRAINED LIQUID WITH WATER.